Weekly Roundup

Beijing Greenlights Six More Newbuilds

Copyright © 2023 Energy Intelligence Group All rights reserved. Unauthorized access or electronic forwarding, even for internal use, is prohibited.
Maksym Deliyergiyev/Shutterstock

Beijing approved six new nuclear reactors in one go this week, in this year's first batch of green lights for new nuclear. The approvals also saw two newcomers — state owned utilities Datang and Huaneng — entering into the country’s exclusive nuclear club. The six newbuilds approved in a Jul. 31 State Council meeting were China National Nuclear Corp.’s (CNNC's) Xudabu-1 and -2 in Liaoning province, Datang's Ningde-5 and -6 in Fujian and Huaneng's Shidaowan-1 and -2 in Shandong. The Xudabu CAP1000s will join the Rosatom-supplied VVER-1200s at Xudabu -3 and -4 that started construction in 2021-22. Datang’s 47%-owned Ningde-5 and -6 will be integrated Hualong-Ones, supported by partners China General Nuclear (CGN, 43%) and the local government (10%). Huaneng’s Shidao Bay-1 and -2 will reference CGN’s Taipingling-1 and -2 in Guangdong, two of China's first-of-a-kind integrated Hualong-Ones designed by Hualong-One Corp., a CGN-CNNC joint venture (JV). Huaneng and its affiliated companies own 75% of the Shidao Bay project, with State Nuclear Power Technology owning the remaining 25%.

Wanda Ad #2 (article footer)
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman vows to follow suit if Iran develops nuclear weapons; environmental greenlight for first Polish nuclear plant; Whitehall opens Sizewell C to private investment.
Fri, Sep 22, 2023
The government will push agencies to factor climate implications into procurement, budgeting and other decisions.
Fri, Sep 22, 2023
US-based Westinghouse plans to appeal a US court decision dismissing its claim that South Korea's large APR1400 and APR1000 reactor designs are subject to US export controls.
Fri, Sep 22, 2023